Saturday, May 14, 2011

EDM613 - WK 2 Comm2 - Megan Bassett

Megan, it's funny how quickly I can forget about what I try to convince my students of at the beginning of the school year. The idea of learning from our mistakes is what I try to have my students embrace. This of course does not help them on the first test. But for those students that are willing to put forth the effort and especially the ones that are in higher level mathematics courses, learning from their mistakes allows them to move passed the learning of steps. They can finally begin to think through their problem solving skills and take meaningful steps towards the correct answer. I'm reminded of the fact that we learn much better from being burned by the fire than from not.



Original - Wow, I’m actually a little in awe at this textbook. The first two chapters remind me of my favorite quote, and a quote I try very hard to live by each day.
"The remarkable thing is that we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude
we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the past... We cannot change
the fact that people will act in a certain way... We cannot change the
inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have and that is
our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I
...react to it. And so with you..."
I had a big move in front of me a few years back, where I had to leave everything behind and start anew. I could either be depressed by the unknown and the vast options of my future, or I could be excited or inspired by it. I chose the latter, and I’m so thankful that I chose that path because it led me to some really great things in my life.
In the third chapter, the author talks about giving everyone an A, and embracing mistakes as a learning tool instead of a negative part of the students music. I teach my students in Art a similar way, and using this quote often to enforce my ideas; “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” In art, mistakes can bring you to some of the most fascinating parts of your piece. Developing those mistakes can sometimes bring an ordinary piece of art into the extraordinary. Most students make mistakes, recognize it, become very negative and sometimes give up hope and consider themselves a failure. I try my very hardest to turn their mistakes into something they can work with and develop from. The hardest part is teaching them to like something they had not planned on creating. They tend to have ideas in their head of what they want to create, and when they cannot reach this goal, they get very disappointed. The art for me, is trying to get them to see the amazing qualities of what they made, not what they were supposed to make.


As far as contribution, I think we would do everyone in our lives a huge favor if we look at everyday as a gift, and every moment we are with others as a gift to ourselves and them. Going through your work week looking forward to Friday is no way to live life. Using this idea to look at how you are contributing to others everyday would make your life so much more fulfilled.


As I was reading this, my boyfriend asked me what I was reading. I said a textbook, which brought the question what it was about. I narrowed it down to a self help type textbook, and that it was actually very interesting and quite a good read. (I’ll admit, I teared up for parts of it, connecting to the stories by the author and others….call me a girl.) I’m going to go live by these 4 chapters, and return to read the rest after making my mom mother’s day dinner.
Posted by Meghan Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment