Thursday, May 19, 2011

EDM613 - WK 3 Reading - Failing to Lead

As a teacher this phrase "failing to lead" can be used in two different ways.  It all depends on where you put the emphasis.  The most common is the negative form of the phrase where the downbeat is on the word "lead".  This is when someone has the opportunity to lead and fails to do so.  The other way is to put the emphasis on the word "failing", this puts the phrase in such a way as to tell others how to lead.


I have a story much like that of the conductor that called to musicians to play at the wrong time and apologized.  One day, I had a student that professed she did not like math and that math did not like here.  I was fed up with this child and her stubborn disposition towards learning my subject (she preferred English).  I lost my temper and yelled at her in front of the entire class and embarrassed her.  After the class I pulled her aside and apologized, but afterwards I did not feel satisfied.  That evening I spoke with my wife and she suggested that I apologize in front of the class as that was how I had originally embarrassed her.  So, the next time she was in class and I was able to apologize publicly, I did.  Photobucket
From that day on, this student who had brick walls around her in her mathematics classes, was now an open book.  She started asking questions, volunteering to answer questions and even go to the board to show her work.  I failed, and that failure allowed me to lead.



As a teacher I need to know that educating these students is the ultimate goal and sometimes I cannot force them to do as they should.  I need to choose a different seat and try to either push, guide, drag, steer, etc.  Whatever it takes.  And yes, sometimes failure is what it takes.  I need to keep Rule Number Six in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment